Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Repositioned to Quiet Waters Park

We were happy to dig in at the Wye River during uncomfortable weather and contrary winds. In our quest for a viable alternative in obtaining crabs, we took the dingy out on our cove and met a local crabber. We happily supported his business. The crabs in Wye River are large. In Crisfield we did away with a dozen crabs in one sitting, but could only take on six per meal of these big fellas from the Wye. Our local contact, Mike, tried to get us to try to soft shell crabs. Without the proper aerating equipment, it was not easy. They were both females. By the end of the evening, one of the ladies had shed her shell - it is called 'peeling.' She was very docile after that and we could even pet her. This was a big mistake, we got attached. We researched how to prepare soft shell crab and were struggling with killing and eating our new friends. By morning, they were both very docile or, well, dead and we let them go when we crossed over a shallow area at the entrance to the Wye. I see the wisdom in eating soft shell crab, it is all meat and no shell. I realize now that I cannot spend any quality time with them before hand!
Our plan was to go north from the Wye, but the wait on the weather extinguished some of our supplies as well as clean clothes. Today we crossed the Bay, made water and are now repositioned at Harness Creek. We did laundry, will provision tomorrow and then look for a weather window for heading north.
I made up a calendar with places we would be over the next two months or so. Those of you that know me could see me planning this all out: so many days at this anchorage, laundry done here, provisioning there. We were only a couple days into my glorious little schedule when it got all bunched up. I will still make my plans because I cannot help myself, they just will not be blogged until they become reality. At least, that's the plan.
Love to all,
Dena
Posted via Ham radio.
{GMST}38|56.082|N|076|30.557|W|Anchored Harness Creek|Quiet Waters{GEND}

1 comment:

Benner Family said...

It looks beautiful, I take the your plans continue to change? Are you going to head back south soon? We have been looking at your blogs and wish we were their with you. Missing you guys love the Benner family