Loading Map

Monday, October 31, 2011

Offshore Departure from Cape Fear

In the event it would work out, we prepared Hold Fast for an offshore run today: putting up lee cloths, setting up Windy (the wind vane), securing gear inside that is typically OK to leave out on a canal run, but not offshore. After careful study of the forecasted winds and seas along our planned route, we continued down the Cape Fear River right out into the Atlantic this afternoon. We prayed about going, about the route, and about the timing of tidal current. We give God the glory that we looked like geniuses shooting out the inlet at 8.4 knots. It took us a while to get to the wind and we wondered if it had disappeared. We put out the jib and Granddad and put Windy to work. We were only seeing 4.5 knots when we had planned for five knots. Then, to Myron's delight and slight dismay to me, we found the wind. We were running at 7.7 knots, too lively for nightfall. As a result, Granddad was retired for the night and the jib is pulling us along at over 6 knots. We guess the seas are around 3 to 5 feet, Unfortunately, they are a little disorganized.

I expect these winds to keep up all night. Our intended landfall is St. Simon's, Georgia, sometime on Wednesday. We heard there is affordable fuel in Brunswick.

Our current course is 230 (magnetic) and our speed now about 5 knots.

We will do our best to put up another post tomorrow and you all can see how well little Miss Dena is doing!

Love to all,
Dena

Posted via Ham radio.
{GMST}33|45.732|N|078|07.686|W|underway Cape Fear|Cape Fear{GEND}

No comments: